One of 4 US policemen charged over Floyd's death freed on bail

Brandon Bell / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Getty Images via AFP

One of four former Minneapolis police officers charged over the death of George Floyd has been released on bail.

According to reports, 37-year-old Thomas Lane had been held on $750,000 bail and was freed from Hennepin County jail.

He was one of three officers charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter.

Lane's attorney, Earl Gray, told media that his client tried to help Floyd and was only on his fourth day on the job on patrol duty.

Former officer Derek Chauvin, who was videotaped pressing his knee to Floyd's neck as he gasped "I can't breathe", has been charged with second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Floyd's death has sparked nationwide protests demanding an end to police brutality and racial injustice.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs