Nothing new in Trump's threat of sanctions and tariffs, says Kremlin

Shutterstock (For illustration)

The Kremlin said on Thursday it saw nothing particularly new in a threat by US President Donald Trump to hit Russia with new sanctions and tariffs if it did not agree to end the war in Ukraine.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Trump had often applied sanctions against Russia in his first term as president. Peskov reiterated that Russia was ready for an equal and mutually respectful dialogue with the US.

Referring to Russia and the war, Trump said on Wednesday: "If we don't make a 'deal,' and soon, I have no other choice but to put high levels of taxes, tariffs, and sanctions on anything being sold by Russia to the United States, and various other participating countries."

Trump said he would do a very big favour to Russia and President Vladimir Putin by getting them to bring an end to "this ridiculous war". Earlier this week, he said the conflict, which is nearing the end of its third year, was "destroying" Russia.

More from International News

  • Thousands in US and Europe protest against Trump, Musk

    Thousands of protesters gathered in Washington, D.C., and across the U.S. on Saturday, part of some 1,200 demonstrations that were expected to form the largest single day of protest against President Donald Trump and his billionaire ally Elon Musk.

  • Two British MPs detained by Israel, British FM says

    Israel has detained two British members of parliament and refused entry to the officials who were visiting as part of a parliamentary delegation, British Foreign Minister David Lammy said in a statement late on Saturday.

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

Blogs