Norway issues search request for person linked to exploding pagers

AFP

Norwegian police have issued an international search request for Rinson Jose, a Norwegian-Indian man linked to the sale of pagers to the Lebanese group Hezbollah that exploded last week.

Jose, 39, disappeared while on a work trip to the US last week. He is a founder of a Bulgarian company that was reportedly part of the pager supply chain.

Asked what they were doing to find Jose, police said in an email to Reuters: "Yesterday, Sept. 25, the Oslo police district received a missing person report in connection with the pager case."

"A missing persons case has been opened, and we have sent out an international warrant for the person," it added.

The Norwegian criminal police, Kripos, which handles international requests, confirmed to Reuters that the request has been sent, declining to elaborate.

When a person is missing abroad, Kripos would normally issue a global alert, or so-called "yellow notice", but could also contact its foreign counterparts directly depending on circumstances, its spokesperson told Reuters earlier.

Jose declined to comment on the pagers when reached by phone last Wednesday, September 18, and hung up when asked about the Bulgarian business.

His Norwegian employer, DN Media Group, said he left for a conference in Boston on September 17, and the company has not been able to reach him since September 18. He works at the group's sales department.

In 2022, Jose founded Sofia-based company Norta Global Ltd, Bulgaria's corporate registry shows.

Bulgaria has investigated the company's role in supply of booby-trapped pagers, but has found no evidence that they were made or exported from the country.

Norway's security police (PST) also launched a preliminary investigation earlier this week into reports that a Norwegian-owned company was linked to the sale of the pagers.

Over a two-day period last week, thousands of pagers, as well as walkie-talkies, used by Hezbollah operatives, blew up in Lebanon, killing at least 39 people and wounding thousands.

The attacks were widely believed to have been carried out by Israel, which has neither confirmed nor denied its involvement.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs