No lockdown planned for Paris as severe COVID-19 cases hit 3-month high

Anne-Christine POUJOULAT / AFP

France is not planning to put the Paris region into lockdown even though the number of people with COVID-19 in intensive care is at its highest since November.

Medical authorities in the Paris region, which accounts for about one-sixth of France's population, ordered hospitals on Monday to cancel 40% of their regular activities to make space for critical COVID-19 patients.

But, public health director Jerome Salomon told RTL radio that a lockdown is "not on the agenda".

He said lockdown "is a last resort measure that would be submitted to the government and the president if we were under the impression the hospital system could not cope".

The number of people treated in intensive care units for COVID-19 in France reached a 14-1/2-week-high on Monday at 3,849. The figure was almost 1,000 for the Paris region.

At Melun Hospital Centre, about 50 km southeast of Paris, staff said they were at full stretch trying to monitor all the COVID-19 patients in the intensive care unit.

"With intensive care beds, in our region, and in certain other regions, we're starting to be close to capacity," said Dr. Moncef Monchi, head of the intensive care unit.

In one of the intensive care bays at the hospital on Monday, Dr Esther Mbakallu was intubating a patient under sedation -- inserting a breathing tube that will pump extra oxygen into his airway. She said his condition had worsened so he needed mechanical help to breathe.

"He was scared," she said of the patient before he was sedated to have the tube inserted. "There are rumours going around that patients who are intubated die, so he had that apprehension. I reassured him."

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs