No COVID-19 cases among Haj pilgrims, confirms Saudi Health Ministry

SAUDI MINISTRY OF MEDIA / AFP

Saudi Arabia's healthy ministry has confirmed that no COVID-19 cases were recorded among the Haj pilgrims.

That's according to the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), which quoted Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdali, Assistant Minister of Health and official spokesman of the Saudi Ministry of Health, as also confirming that "no diseases were affecting public health".

It comes as the World Health Organisation (WHO) praised the country for putting into place strict safety precautions to prevent a coronavirus outbreak during the five-day pilgrimage.

"I’d like to congratulate the kingdom of Saudi Arabia for the steps it has put in place to make the Hajj as safe as possible this year," Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO's director general, said in Geneva.

"This is a powerful demonstration of the kinds of measures that countries can and must take to adapt to the new normal."

The scaled-down pilgrimage begun on Wednesday, with about 10,000 pilgrims in the Kingdom attending, compared to the usual 2 million.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs