Militants kill 37, abduct six others in attack on Ugandan school

AFP

Militants killed 37 people and abducted six others in an attack on a school in western Uganda near the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo, the military said on Saturday.

Military personnel found the bodies of the dead when they arrived at the school, defence spokesperson Felix Kulayigye said in a statement.

"Our forces are pursuing the enemy to rescue those abducted and destroy this group," he said earlier on Twitter. The attackers, from the rebel group Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), fled towards Virunga National Park in Congo, police said.

Police said eight other people were in hospital with critical injuries after the attack at the Lhubirira Secondary School in Mpondwe.

Privately-owned NTV Uganda television said on Twitter that the death toll stood at 41, while state-run New Vision newspaper said it was 42. New Vision said 39 of the dead were students and that some of those killed died when the attackers set off a bomb as they fled.

Neither police nor the military said how many of the dead were schoolchildren.

The assailants, numbering about five, burnt down a dormitory and looted food, police and the military said.

Major General Dick Olum, the army's commander for western Uganda and in charge of a military deployment in the Democratic Republic of Congo, said the attackers had stayed in the town two days before the attack, marking their target.

He said an unidentified youth had gone to the school to check its layout before the attack.

"That is how the attackers came and locked the boys' door. The boys really tried to fight back, but they were overpowered. The attackers had lit mattresses," Olum told reporters from Mpondwe, according to a video posted on Twitter by the Daily Monitor newspaper.

"In the girls' dorm, they found their door open, hence killing them and cutting them."

The ADF rebels launched their insurgency against President Yoweri Museveni in the 1990s from an initial base in the Rwenzori Mountains.

The group was largely defeated by the Ugandan military, but remnants fled across the border into the vast jungles of eastern Congo, from where they have since maintained their insurgency - perpetrating attacks on civilian and military targets in both Congo and Uganda.

In April, the ADF attacked a village in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, killing at least 20 people.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs