May defends decision to hold Brexit talks with opposition

Tolga AKMEN / AFP

British Prime Minister Theresa May defended her decision to open talks with the opposition in a bid to deliver Brexit or risk letting it "slip through our fingers".

 

In a statement on Saturday night, May said she "had to take a new approach" to win a parliamentary majority backing the agreement that she reached with Brussels in November.

In a statement, May said: "The longer this takes, the greater the risk of the UK never leaving at all. It would mean letting the Brexit the British people voted for slip through our fingers.

"I will not stand for that. It is essential we deliver what people voted for and to do that we need to get a deal over the line."

Britain is due to leave the EU on April 12, but Parliament has failed to reach agreement on any deal, while also rejecting the option of leaving without a deal.

 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs