Mattis denounces Trump and military response to civil unrest

MANDEL NGAN / AFP

Former US Defence Secretary James Mattis has criticized President Donald Trump's recent handling of the anti-racism protests, and accused him of dividing the country.

"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people -- does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort," his scathing statement read.

He said he was "angry and appalled" by Trump's threat to initiate a military crackdown on protests that turned violent over the controversial killing of George Floyd.

His 640-word statement published in The Atlantic magazine is the most forceful statement yet from a former member of Trump's cabinet.

Meanwhile, Trump responded by calling Mattis an "overrated general" and said he was glad he had left the post.

Mattis stepped down from his post in 2018 after Trump announced the withdrawal of US troops from Syria.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs