Another quake hits western Afghanistan; official says losses 'huge'

File Photo

A strong earthquake rattled Afghanistan's western province of Herat on Wednesday, forcing authorities to redeploy relief and rescue teams already in the field following a series of deadly quakes on Saturday.

There were no details on casualties so far, disaster management spokesman Janan Sayeeq told Reuters, but provincial officials said hundreds of homes had been destroyed.

The office of Herat's governor said some areas had suffered "huge losses", without giving details.

"Mobile medical teams and officials have been working together and have transferred several injured people to hospital," the governor's office said in a statement.

Saturday's tremors killed at least 2,400 people and injured more than 2,000, the Taliban-run government said, making the quakes one of the deadliest in the world so far this year.

Most of the casualties in that quake were women and children, the World Health Organisation said.

The German Research Center for Geosciences (GFZ) said the latest quake was a magnitude 6.3, and occurred at a depth of 10 km.

Hemmed in by mountains, Afghanistan has a history of strong earthquakes, many in the rugged Hindu Kush region bordering Pakistan. Herat province borders Iran, which said it would send humanitarian aid.

In the central district of Rubat Sangi, which was rattled by Saturday's quakes, at least 200 homes were partially or completely destroyed, Governor Noor Ahmad Shahab said, adding that residents had suffered "huge financial losses".

There were no casualties reported so far, he said, as many villagers were already sleeping out in the open or in tents since the earlier earthquakes.

"People need urgent aid," Shahab said, adding that survivors were falling ill from the colder autumn weather.

Relief and rescue efforts after Saturday's earthquakes have been hampered by infrastructure left crumbling by decades of war and a lack of foreign aid which once formed the backbone of the economy but which has dried up since the Taliban took over.

Afghanistan's healthcare system, largely reliant on foreign aid, has also faced crippling cuts.

The European Union said it would provide 2.5 million euros ($2.65 million) to humanitarian partners working to provide relief, in addition to the 89 million euros in humanitarian aid already allocated in 2023.

It also offered shelter kits, winter tents and hygiene kit, among other relief supplies.

Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, and China have already pledged to send in food, blankets, medicines, tents and funds. The United Nation's humanitarian office has also announced $5 million worth of assistance.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs