Libyan death toll rises as battle for Tripoli intensifies

Mahmud TURKIA / AFP

The death toll in the clashes between forces of the UN-backed government and Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA) near the Libyan capital Tripoli has risen to 21.

The UN said 2,800 people have been displaced as the renewed civil war threatens to disrupt oil and gas supplies and trigger more migration to Europe.

Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj has accused Haftar of attempting a coup and says armed groups have been deployed to block the LNA.

This comes as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made an appeal for talks and an end to the fighting.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs