Lebanon: 12 Civil Defense members killed in Israeli airstike

via X

Twelve members of Lebanon's Civil Defense were killed in an Israeli airstrike targeting their centre in Douris, Baalbek on Thursday evening, the governor of Baalbek-Hermel, Bachir Khodr, said. 

He added the centre was hit while 20 paramedics were inside. 

The city's civil defense chief, Bilal Raad, was among those found dead in the rubble, according to the list of casualties posted by Mr. Khodr. 

Four Lebanese paramedics were also among six people killed in an Israeli strike on a civil defense centre in the country’s southern Nabatieh area. 

Israel has intensified its operations in Lebanon, reportedly targeting Hezbollah sites around the country, according to the Israeli military. The strikes have killed at least 3,365 people and injured 14,344 others since October 2023, Lebanon's National News Agency said on Thursday. Many of the casualties recorded are women and children. More than 2 million people have been displaced.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs