Kyiv to create 'buffer zone' in Kursk region, plans evacuation corridors

ROMAN PILIPEY/ AFP

Senior Kyiv officials said that Ukraine was creating a "buffer zone" in Russia's Kursk region and plans to organise humanitarian assistance and evacuation corridors for civilians looking to go either to Russia or to Ukraine.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy met with top officials to discuss the humanitarian situation and the possible establishment of military administrations in areas seized by Ukrainian forces in a cross-border assault that began on August 6.

"Our military plan to ... open humanitarian corridors for the evacuation of civilians: both in the direction of Russia and in the direction of Ukraine," Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said on the messaging app Telegram.

Kyiv plans to arrange access for international humanitarian organisations likely to include the International Committee of the Red Cross and the United Nations, officials said.

"In the buffer zone, food, medicine, and other items necessary for the civilian population should be provided," Ukraine's human rights commissioner Dmytro Lubinets said on Telegram.

Zelenskiy said Ukrainian forces "strictly adhere" to international conventions and humanitarian law.

Ukraine said on Wednesday its cross-border invasion had advanced one to two kilometres in the Kursk region since the start of the day and that its troops had finished clearing the Russian border town of Sudzha of Moscow's forces.

Russian forces have for months been pummelling Ukraine border regions with strikes launched from adjacent territories, including from the Kursk region.

"The creation of a buffer zone in the Kursk region is a step that is designed to protect our border communities from daily enemy attacks," Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said on Telegram.

Russia's President Vladimir Putin has used the same terminology to refer to new front opened by Russian forces in Ukraine's northeastern Kharkiv region in May.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs