Kuwait imposes 20-day 'total curfew' to curb coronavirus

AFP

Kuwait will impose a 20-day "total curfew" from Sunday, May 10, as part of its efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Starting 4:00 pm on Sunday, the nationwide curfew will run for 16-hours daily, the cabinet said, adding that the public sector will be allowed to work remotely until May 31.

Essential sectors like health, security, electricity, oil and municipal services, as well as private sector companies providing vital services like maintenance will be exempt from the curfew, interior minister Anas al-Saleh added during a televised news conference.

All banks will remain closed, with services provided online.

All supermarkets will remain open during the curfew with move permits allotted to families to buy essentials. 

People will need to wear face masks and will be able to go out for walks between 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm.

So far, the country has recorded 7,208 positive cases and 47 deaths.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs