Kenya's Odinga rejects election results

TONY KARUMBA/ AFP

Kenya's losing presidential candidate Raila Odinga said on Tuesday his coalition totally rejects the election results that saw Deputy President William Ruto win the presidential vote.

The veteran opposition leader, who lost his fifth bid for the presidency, vowed to pursue legal means to challenge the decision.

He urged his supporters to maintain peace and not take the law on their own hands, at a media briefing in the capital Nairobi.

His first comments on the result came shortly after four of the seven election commissioners said they stood by their decision a day earlier to disown the outcome of the presidential poll, saying the final tallying process had been "opaque".

"Our view is that the figures announced by (electoral commission chairman Wafula) Chebukati are null and void and must be quashed by court of law," Odinga, told a news conference.

"What we saw yesterday was a travesty," he said. "Let no one take the law into their own hands."

Chebukati declared current deputy president William Ruto the winner on Monday with 50.49% of the vote against Odinga's 48.5%.

Minutes earlier, his deputy Juliana Cherera had told media at a separate location that she and three other commissioners disowned the results.

Speaking for the group on Tuesday, Cherera said the results that gave Ruto a wafer-thin victory were erroneously aggregated and accused Chebukati of over-ruling their questions on the final tally.

She said the elections had been conducted in a proper manner.

Odinga broadcast the dissenting commission members' own news conference at his own venue before taking the stage.

Monday's dramatic events have raised fears of violence like that seen after past elections in Kenya, usually one of Africa's most stable countries, and Odinga had faced calls from home and abroad to commit to resolving any disputes in the courts.

In 2017, more than 100 people were killed after the Supreme Court overturned the result citing anomalies in the voting process.

A decade earlier, more than 1,200 people were killed in widespread violence after the 2007 presidential vote.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs