Japan to bar foreign visitors due to Omicron threat

AFP (File Picture)

Japan said on Monday it would shut its borders to foreigners to prevent the spread of the Omicron variant of coronavirus, joining Israel in imposing some of the strictest border controls since the variant's discovery in South Africa.

Japan would bar entry to foreigners from midnight on Monday, and Japanese returnees from a number of specified nations would have to quarantine in designated facilities, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters.

"These are temporary, exceptional measures that we are taking for safety's sake until there is clearer information about the Omicron variant," Kishida told reporters.

"I'm prepared to bear all criticism from those saying the Kishida administration is being too cautious."

The move marked a rapid escalation of restrictions since Friday when Japan said it would tighten border controls on people arriving from six African nations, even though no cases of Omicron have been detected in the country and much about the new variant remains unknown.

It comes just a few weeks after Kishida's administration eased quarantine measures on foreign business travellers to help boost the economy.

Nations around the world have enacted border curbs since the WHO dubbed Omicron a "variant of concern".

Japan's are among the strongest, following Israel in banning entry of foreigners, and Morocco which has halted all inbound flights for two weeks.

Health Minister Shigeyuki Goto said a traveller from Namibia was found to be positive for the novel coronavirus but further tests were needed to find out if it was from the new variant.

After a slow start, Japan's vaccination rate is now the highest among Group of Seven economies, and COVID-19 infections have fallen dramatically since a deadly fifth wave which peaked in August.

Even so, health experts are concerned about a possible rebound this winter, and a round of booster shots are scheduled to start next month.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it could take "days to several weeks" to determine the severity of the new variant in the absence of information that its symptoms differed from those of other variants.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs