A Palestinian opened fire at an Israeli civilian in the occupied West Bank city of Qalqilya, wounding him and two Palestinians, before being killed by Israeli troops, the Israeli military said on Monday.
The Palestinian Health Ministry identified the shooter as an 18-year-old from the area, adding his body is being held by Israeli authorities. A photograph from his social media account shows him wearing a military-style uniform and holding an assault rifle and ammunition.
Violence in the West Bank, already on the rise before the war in Gaza, has escalated further, with stepped-up Israeli military raids, Israeli settler violence, and Palestinian street attacks.
The Palestinian Authority (PA) health ministry says more than 600 Palestinians have been killed in the West Bank since last October. As many as 10,000 have been arrested, according to the Palestinian Prisoners Society. At least 18 Israelis, including 12 security forces personnel, have also been killed in the West Bank.
Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.
U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.
Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.
The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.