Israeli army presents 'evacuation' plan for civilians in Gaza

Agencies

The Israeli military has presented a plan to "evacuate" civilians from "combat zones" in the Gaza Strip, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office announced on Monday.

It came before an expected Israeli attack on the city of Rafah in southern Gaza, which the Israeli leader described as the "last stronghold" of the Hamas movement.

According to a report in the Jerusalem Post newspaper, Netanyahu's office said the army had "submitted to the Israeli War Council a plan to evacuate civilians from Rafah", without providing more details, and approved a plan to distribute humanitarian aid in the Gaza Strip "that would prevent theft".

Meanwhile, the White House National Security Advisor, Jake Sullivan, said US President Joe Biden is yet to see Israel's plan for the military operation in Rafah and added that it should not be carried out until a clear plan to protect civilians has been chalked out.

It comes as the US confirmed that multilateral talks for a possible hostage release plan and a new ceasefire have taken place in Paris. 

In an interview with CNN, Sullivan said "representatives of Israel, the US, Egypt and Qatar met in Paris and reached an understanding between the four countries on the basic features of a hostage agreement for a temporary ceasefire".

The agreement, he added, "is still under negotiation" without divulging any details and will be discussed with Hamas representatives.

The negotiations have since moved to Doha, according to reports in the Egyptian media.

Speaking to CBS News, Netanyahu refused to reveal details of the ongoing talks, but said Hamas must "accept a logical solution".

It comes as the death toll in the Israeli war in Gaza touched 29,692, with more than 69,879 injured.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs