Israel refuses US request for a humanitarian truce in the Gaza Strip

AFP / Gil Cohen-Magen

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken urged Israel for a humanitarian truce in the Gaza Strip, which Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu rejected unless hostages held by Hamas are freed.

The Gaza Strip has been subjected to violent air strikes for weeks and has killed thousands of Palestinians.

Blinken told Israeli officials that Israel's approval of a humanitarian truce would help Washington ward off the increasing pressure it faces due to its support for the Israeli operation in Gaza and will also help Israel gain more time before its comprehensive ground attack on Gaza.

According to what was reported by the American website Axios, the administration of US President Joe Biden supports Israel's goal of dismantling Hamas' military capabilities, but it is under increasing pressure from some Democrats in Congress and its allies and partners in the region, for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Axios explained that Blinken informed his Israeli counterparts that the Biden administration is subject to a lot of criticism locally and internationally because it gives Israel its full support.

The US Secretary of State told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and members of the war cabinet that he understood that the Israeli operation against Hamas would last longer than a few days.

He added: "But due to the pressures facing the United States, the humanitarian truce will help Israel gain more time for its ground operations."

Blinken's message, according to an American official and two Israeli officials, was: "We don't want to stop you, but help us get more time."

Israeli leaders, including Netanyahu, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, and Israeli Army Chief of Staff Herzi Halevy, rejected this proposal.

They told Blinken that a ceasefire "will not happen unless the hostages are released ."

Israeli officials say that the issue of a humanitarian truce will be subject to further discussions with the United States, "but they do not believe anything will change in the next few days," according to Axios.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs