Israel issues a new evacuation order to the residents of Khan Yunis

AFP / Bashar Taleb

The Israeli army issued new evacuation orders for residents of the southern neighbourhoods of the city of Khan Yunis, south of the Gaza Strip, to the new “humanitarian zone” in Al-Mawasi.

The army said that it had "intelligence information" indicating that "Hamas is operating within the borders of the humanitarian zone."

Israeli army spokesman Avichai Adraee said on the "X" platform: "In light of numerous terrorist activities and rocket launches towards Israel from within the western neighbourhoods of Khan Yunis, presence in that area has become dangerous."

He referred in a statement to "the amendments that occurred to the borders of the humanitarian zone" and called on the Palestinians who are sheltering in the area to evacuate to the designated area in Al-Mawasi temporarily.

The army warned that it would carry out strikes against Hamas and infrastructure in the region.

A military source said that hospitals in the area do not need to be evacuated and that Israeli forces informed Palestinian health officials and officials in the international community about this.

On Friday, the United Nations reported that more than 180,000 Palestinians were forced to flee during four days of fierce fighting around Khan Yunis in light of an Israeli military operation to recover the bodies of hostages from the area.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that the recent "intensive hostilities" in the Khan Yunis area, more than nine months after the start of the war between Israel and Hamas, resulted in "new waves of internal displacement throughout Gaza."

On Wednesday, the Israeli army announced the recovery of the bodies of five people during an operation in Khan Yunis, including a woman and two soldiers, all of whom were killed during the Hamas attack on Israel and were transferred to the Gaza Strip.

Israeli Army Chief of Staff Herzi Halevy said that the bodies of the hostages were recovered from hidden underground tunnels and walls.

According to UN figures, the vast majority of Gaza's 2.4 million people have been displaced at least once due to fighting.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs