Israel failed to meet humanitarian criteria set by US: Aid group

file

Israel has failed to meet criteria set by the United States to improve the humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip within 30 days, a group of international aid agencies said in a joint statement on Tuesday.

On October 13, the Biden administration sent a letter to Israel stipulating it had 30 days to address the dire humanitarian crisis in the strip, which has been pummeled for more than a year by Israeli ground and air operations.

The joint report, released by eight organisations, said Israel failed to meet 15 of the 19 measures laid out in compliance with the US' requirements. 

“Israel not only failed to meet the US criteria that would indicate support to the humanitarian response, but concurrently took actions that dramatically worsened the situation on the ground, particularly in Northern Gaza,” the report signed by Anera, Care, MedGlobal, Mercy Corps, the Norwegian Refugee Council, Oxfam, Refugees International, and Save the Children said.

State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller declined to say what consequences Israel would face if it failed to implement the recommendations.

Israel said on Monday it had met most of the demands by the United States.

Last week, the State Department said Israel had taken some measures to increase aid access to Gaza but had so far failed to significantly turn around the humanitarian situation.

The United States has not yet commented on whether Israel met its requirements.

On Friday, a group of independent experts warned that “there is a strong likelihood that famine is imminent in areas within the northern Gaza Strip.” The scorecard itself notes that “an estimated 100,000 people have been displaced from North Gaza to Gaza City and between 75,000 and 95,000 people remain besieged in North Gaza without medical or food supplies.”

Israel intensified its operations in the Strip in October, most notably in the north where a siege is ongoing.

Essential supplies to the area have been nearly non-existent. Tens of thousands of people remained in the north despite evacuation orders and fears they would not be allowed to return.

Aid to Gaza plummeted in October, when just 34,000 tons of food entered, or less than half the previous month, according to Israeli data.

via COGAT

Analysts have said Biden and his administration have lost their leverage in negotiations, having a few months left in office after Trump was elected for a second term.

Donald Trump, in his first term, was a staunch ally of Israel. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Trump have reportedly spoken three times since his re-election on November 6. 

New Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said on Monday he had met the US ambassador and was confident that "we can reach an understanding with our American friends and that the issue will be solved".

Israel approved plans to expand its ground incursion into Lebanon and Gaza’s Beit Lahiyah after Trump was elected.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs