Indonesia's Joko Widodo secures second term as rival cries fowl

GOH Chai Hin / AFP

Around 32,000 security personnel have been deployed across the Indonesian capital Jakarta after early "quick count" results confirmed Joko Widodo's victory in last month's elections.

Some schools have announced closures, while local offices have allowed staff to work, amid threats of protests by rival Prabowo Subianto's supporters. 

The retired general, who was handed 44.5 per cent of the votes by the General Election Commission (KPU), "completely rejected" the results, and pledged to "continue to make legal efforts in line with the constitution to defend the mandate of the people".

Widodo, who won 55.5 per cent of the votes, said he will be a leader for all Indonesians.

"We are grateful and proud that amid our differences, we have been mature in keeping the peace," he said.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs