Indonesia presses for answers after deadly football stampede

JUNI KRISWANTO/ AFP

Dozens of Indonesian police have been placed under investigation over a stampede at a football match on Saturday that killed 125 people.

It comes as authorities sought to determine what caused one of the world's deadliest stadium disasters and who was to blame.

Panicked spectators were crushed as they tried to flee the overcrowded stadium in Malang, East Java, after police fired tear gas to disperse fans of Arema FC, who had poured onto the pitch after a 3-2 home defeat to Persebaya Surabaya.

Football's world governing body FIFA stipulates no "crowd control gas" should be used at matches, and Choirul Anam, a commissioner for Indonesian rights body Komnas HAM, told a news briefing that if gas hadn't been fired "maybe there wouldn't have been chaos."

The death toll was the largest at a football match since 1964, when 328 were killed in a crush as Peru hosted Argentina in Lima.

Nine police were stripped of their positions and the local police chief transferred, police spokesperson Dedi Prasetyo said, adding that 28 officers were under investigation.

The decision to use tear gas was among the issues being looked into, he added.

Mourners gathered outside the stadium on Monday. Some scattered flowers over an Arema club shirt while others prayed quietly, or wept, among them the club's manager Ali Fikri.

Chief security minister Mahfud MD said the government would form a fact-finding team, comprising academics, football experts and officials, to probe what happened.

"They have been asked... in the next coming days to reveal the culprits that were involved in the crime," Mahfud told a news conference.

A government official said those killed on Saturday included 32 minors.

President Joko Widodo ordered the football federation to suspend all top flight matches until the investigation was complete.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs