India scrambles fighter jets after report of bomb scare on flight from Iran

iStock [illustration]

India's air force (IAF) said on Monday it had scrambled fighter jets after receiving information of a bomb scare on an airline bearing Iranian registration transiting through Indian airspace.

The air force said it later received information from Iran's capital Tehran to disregard the bomb scare and the flight continued its journey.

The jets followed the aircraft at a safe distance and the aircraft was offered the option to land at two airports in north-western India.

"However, the pilot declared his unwillingness to divert to either of the two airports," the IAF said in a statement.

Data from FlightRadar24 showed Mahan Air flight W581, which originated from Tehran and was destined for China's Guangzhou, fly in circles a handful of times above northern India, west of New Delhi, before continuing to fly across the country and into Myanmar.

An Indian Air Force spokesman did not confirm the flight number for which fighter jets were scrambled.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs