India PM Modi holds first election rally since COVID-19 outbreak

iStock [illustration]

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi held his first election rally on Friday since the coronavirus took hold in the country, drawing thousands of cheering supporters who ignored social distancing rules.

Other politicians including Congress party's Rahul Gandhi also attended big rallies in the eastern state of Bihar, where local elections start in phases from next week, with many unmasked participants trying to get a glimpse of the leaders.

India has been among the worst hit by the coronavirus, with the second-highest amount of cases globally, and experts worry big gatherings like the political rallies could trigger a fresh spike in cases.

"I want to congratulate the people of Bihar for fighting a disaster like corona so well... the situation in some of the richest countries in the world is not hidden from anyone," Modi said at the first of the three rallies scheduled in the state.

The 70-year-old, who has himself highlighted the importance of social distancing, took off his mask before addressing a crowd from a high platform.

Bihar, India's third-most populous state, has recorded more than 200,000 coronavirus infections, fewer states like Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh.

India reported 54,366 new cases in the past 24 hours, taking the total to 7.8 million. It has the highest number of reported infections after the United States but the rise in cases has slowed since reaching a peak on September 17.

A government panel has warned, however, that if precautions like wearing masks and social distancing are not followed around India, cases could spike by up to 2.6 million in just a month.

"There is some evidence that large gatherings cause rapid spread," the government-appointed panel of scientists, virologists and other experts said earlier this week.

As various states head to elections over the coming months, political groups including Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party have started promising free COVID-19 vaccines. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs