India mission to recover climbers' bodies halted

123rf

Indian officials have halted attempts to retrieve the bodies of five climbers killed in an avalanche in the Himalayas after encountering technical issues.

According to reports, a helicopter, carrying the rescue team was forced to turn back after three failed attempts to reach the peak.

"No bodies have so far been recovered from the three initial sorties this morning," an official confirmed, adding that no helicopter flights were planned for Wednesday.

Earlier, officials said the operation as "very risky", adding that success would be a "miracle".

Eight climbers - four from Britain, two from the US, and one each from Australia and India - were reported missing last Friday after they failed to return to their base camp near Nanda Devi.

So far, five bodies have been spotted high up on the slope, with authorities predicting that the bodies of the other three to be close by. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs