India considers narrowing lockdown to coronavirus hotspots

SAJJAD HUSSAIN / AFP

Authorities in India are planning to impose stricter regulations on coronavirus hotspots, while easing restrictions in parts that have no reported cases.

The more targeted approach is a way out of a three-week lockdown that ends on April 14, health officials explained, adding that the affected area and its neighbouring districts will be sealed off with a virtual curfew in place.

"It is a lockdown, within a lockdown," they added.  

According to the government data, more than 80 per cent of the positive cases have been traced to 62 districts, mainly in Delhi, Maharashtra, and the southern states of Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Kerala.

"To manage coronavirus, we are working on a cluster containment strategy," said Health Ministry joint secretary Lav Agarwal, adding that it's already been implemented in east Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan's Bhilwara.

So far, India has had 5,360 infections and 164 deaths. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs