Hurricane Ernesto leaves thousands of Puerto Ricans without power

JAYDEE LEE SERRANO/AFP

About half of all homes and businesses in Puerto Rico have been without power since Wednesday, as Hurricane Ernesto churned north into the warm waters of the Atlantic after dumping torrential rain on the territory.

More than 725,000 homes and businesses on the island are without electricity out of a total of about 1.5 million customers, according to LUMA Energy, the Caribbean island's main power supplier.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Ernesto, which strengthened from a tropical storm to a Category 1 hurricane earlier in the day, was about 365 kilometres northwest of the Puerto Rican capital of San Juan as it crawled to the northwest, packing winds of about 120 kph, the National Hurricane Centre said.

The fifth named Atlantic storm of the season, Ernesto should approach the British island territory of Bermuda, about 1,095 km east of North Carolina, by Saturday, with rainfall beginning as early as Thursday, the NHC said. Ernesto could become a major hurricane in about 48 hours, it said.

Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport in Puerto Rico resumed operations on Wednesday afternoon after canceling 145 flights over the last two days.

Before the effects of Ernesto fully pass, the US Virgin Islands - to the east of Puerto Rico - may get a total of up to 15.2 cm of rain, while rainfall totals of up to 25.4 cm were expected for southeastern Puerto Rico.

Ernesto is the second named Atlantic storm in a week during what is expected to be an intense hurricane season. Slow-moving Debby hit Florida's Gulf Coat as a Category 1 hurricane last week before soaking some parts of the Carolinas with up to 60 cm of rain.

Hurricane Beryl, the first of the season, was the earliest Category 5 storm on record in the Atlantic when it swept through the Caribbean and the Texas Gulf Coast last month, killing dozens of people and costing an estimated $6 billion in damages.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs