'Hotel Rwanda' hero was not kidnapped: President Kagame

NICOLAS MAETERLINCK / BELGA / AFP

Rwandan President Paul Kagame denied that his government had kidnapped from abroad Paul Rusesabagina, whose widely acclaimed heroism inspired a Hollywood movie.

At a virtual news conference in the capital, Kigali, Kagame did not say exactly how Rusesabagina had been taken into custody but suggested he had been tricked into travelling to Rwanda before he was arrested.

"It was not the case," Kagame said, referring to accusations of kidnapping.

"There was no kidnap. There was no wrongdoing in the process of his getting here. He got here on the basis of what he believed and wanted to do, and he found himself here ... that's how it happened."

Kigali announced Rusasebagina's detention on August 31, parading him before the press in handcuffs.

The country's criminal investigations agency, the Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB), has said Rusesabagina will face charges including terrorism, financing terrorism, arson, kidnap and murder.

The Rwandan government has accused Rusesabagina of having a hand in alleged attacks by National Liberation Front (FLN) rebels in southern Rwanda along the border with Burundi in 2018.

A former hotel manager during Rwanda's 1994 genocide, Rusesabagina used his job and his connections with the ethnic Hutu elite to protect Tutsis fleeing the slaughter.

His heroism inspired the Oscar-nominated film Hotel Rwanda, in which he was played by actor Don Cheadle.

Rusesabagina left Rwanda shortly after the genocide and later acquired Belgian citizenship. He has been living in Texas.

His relatives have accused the Rwandan government of kidnapping him.

Rusesabagina has been a strong critic of Kagame's government, whose credit for returning the country to stability after the genocide and boosting economic growth, has been tainted by accusations of widespread repression.

On Thursday, U.S. Assistant Secretary for African Affairs Tibor Nagy tweeted that Washington expected Kigali "to provide humane treatment, adhere to the rule of law and provide a fair and transparent legal process."

About 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed in 100 days in the central African nation in 1994.

Soldiers of the then-Hutu-led government and ethnic militia allies orchestrated the genocide in which victims were hacked to death with machetes, burned alive or shot.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs