Hong Kong wakes up to new national security law on handover anniversary

ANTHONY WALLACE / AFP

A new security law has come into force in Hong Kong as the city marked the 23rd anniversary of its handover to China.

Speaking at a flag-raising ceremony, the city's embattled leader Carrie Lam said the law was "the most important development in relations between central – HKSAR [Hong Kong Special Administrative Region] since the handover".

Protests erupted around the city, with Hong Kong police making their first arrests under the new law for advocating secession or subversion.

While critics claim the law could crush civil and political freedoms in the city, authorities in Beijing and Hong Kong reassure that it is aimed only at a few "troublemakers.

Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has warned Beijing of new countermeasures following what he called a "sad day for Hong Kong".

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs