Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam rejects claims she has lost control

Philip FONG / AFP

Hong Kong's embattled leader Carrie Lam said her government is confident of handling the crisis that has rocked the Asian financial centre for three months.

Addressing reporters before a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, she admitted that the escalation of violence in anti-government protests is becoming more serious.

"Unfortunately the calm vanished in the past weekend. The protests are becoming more and more violent," she said.

Lam, who was speaking for the first time since anti-government demonstrations escalated on Sunday, expressed hope at building a platform for dialogue.

"We should prepare for reconciliation in society by communicating with different people ... We want to put an end to the chaotic situation in Hong Kong." 

More than 80 people were arrested on Sunday following violent clashes between the police and the protesters.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs