Hamas to release 13 hostages as first truce in Gaza war starts

There were no reports of bombings, artillery strikes or rocket attacks as the four-day truce between Israel and Hamas in Gaza kicked off on Friday. 

The truce began at 7:00 am (0500 GMT), involving a comprehensive ceasefire in north and south Gaza, the release of 13 Israeli women and child hostages by the militants later in the day and aid to enter through the Rafah crossing. 

During a media briefing, Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesman, Majed Al-Ansari, said the first group of hostages to be released will be 13 women and children.

No details of how the hostages would be transferred were released for "security reasons".

The truce, mediated by Egypt, Qatar and the US, came after nearly seven weeks of conflict between Israel and Hamas, that left about 1,200 Israelis and 14,854 Palestinians dead.

Israel and Hamas agreed to a four-day truce so that 50 women and children under the age of 19 taken hostage could be freed in return for 150 Palestinian women and teenagers in Israeli detention.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs