Hamas threatens to 'neutralise' hostages if Israel launches rescue operation

file

Hamas said it had information that Israel intended to carry out a hostage rescue operation similar to one conducted in Gaza's Nuseirat camp in June, and threatened to "neutralise" the captives if any such action took place, according to an internal statement seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

In the statement dated November 22, Hamas told its operatives not to consider what the repercussions of following the instructions might be and said it held Israel responsible for the fate of the hostages.

The statement, which a senior Hamas source told Reuters was circulated to its factions by the intelligence unit of the group's military wing Izz el-Deen al-Qassam Brigades, did not say when any Israeli operation was expected to take place.

There was no immediate Israeli response to the statement. On Wednesday, Israeli media cited Defence Minister Israel Katz as saying pressure on Hamas was increasing and this time "we will really be able to advance a hostage deal".

Israel's Nuseirat rescue operation on June 9 saw Israeli forces free four hostages, who had been held by Hamas since October 2023, in a raid Palestinian officials said killed more than 200 people, making it one of the bloodiest Israeli assaults of the war.

In the Hamas statement, the group told its operatives to "tighten" the living conditions of the captives and said this should be done in accordance with instructions issued after the Nuseirat operation.

In a section titled "recommendations", Hamas also instructed its operatives to "activate neutralisation orders...as an immediate and swift response to any adventure by the enemy."

Meanwhile, the Israeli military said on Wednesday it had retrieved the body of Itay Svirsky, who was taken hostage on October 7, 2023, and then killed in Hamas captivity, according to a statement from the Israeli military.

A statement from the Hostages' Families Forum, which represents families of those being held by Hamas, said that returning "Itay's body for proper burial in Israel provides crucial closure for his family".

A statement from the military said the family had been notified.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Svirsky's body had been retrieved in a special operation and he thanked Israeli security forces.

"Our hearts are torn over the heavy loss of the Svirsky family," Netanyahu said.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs