Hamas rejects Egyptian ceasefire proposal conditions

AFP

Hamas has reiterated that "there can be no negotiations without a comprehensive cessation of aggression" as it rejected an Egyptian proposal to relinquish control of the Gaza Strip in exchange for a permanent ceasefire.

This follows comments to Reuters by two Egyptian security sources on Monday that the movement refused the proposal.

"The movement's leadership seeks to stop the aggression and massacres against our people completely and not temporarily," said a member of the movement's office, referring to the killing of more than 20,000 Palestinians during the war with Israel that has been ongoing for 11 weeks.

The group, which has been holding talks with Egyptian mediators in Cairo, rejected offering any concessions beyond the possible release of more hostages seized on October 7 when gunmen stormed southern Israel, killing 1,200 people.

Egypt proposed a “vision”, also backed by Qatari mediators, that would include a ceasefire in exchange for the release of more hostages, and lead to a broader agreement including a permanent ceasefire along with a reform of the leadership in Gaza, which is currently held by Hamas.

The two sources said that Egypt proposed holding elections while providing guarantees to Hamas that its members would not be pursued or prosecuted, but the movement refused to make any concessions other than the release of hostages. More than 100 hostages are still believed to be held in Gaza.

A Hamas official who recently visited Cairo declined to comment directly on specific offers for more temporary humanitarian truces and indicated the movement’s refusal, repeating its official stance.

"We also told [Egyptian officials] that aid must increase, continue, and reach all the population in the north and south," the official said.

He added, "After the aggression ends and aid is increased, we can talk about a prisoner exchange deal."

Before the war, there were 5,250 Palestinians in Israeli prisons, but the number has now risen to about 10,000 as Israel has arrested thousands more in the West Bank and Gaza Strip since October 7, according to the Palestinian Prisoners Association.

Overnight into Monday, Gaza witnessed one of the deadliest nights in the 11-week war. Palestinian health officials said at least 70 people had been killed by an Israeli airstrike in the central Gaza Strip.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs