Hamas launches surprise attack on Israel from Gaza

AFP

Palestinian group Hamas launched the biggest surprise attack on Israel in years on Saturday, killing more than 20 people.

Fighters were sent across the border and a barrage of rockets were fired from the Gaza strip.

Israel's ambulance service reported at least 22 Israelis were killed in the attack so far with more than 250 wounded, but added that the toll was expected to rise.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to retaliate, saying "We are in a war and we will win it."

The Israeli military said it had launched air strikes into Gaza, where witnesses reported hearing heavy explosions, with at least two dead.

The attack marked one of the most serious escalations in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in years.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs