Half of Gaza population suffering extreme hunger

MOHAMMED ABED/ AFP

The UN said on Wednesday that half of the population of the Gaza Strip suffers from severe or acute hunger, and that 90 per cent are regularly deprived of food for an entire day.

Although 127 trucks of aid and goods entered the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported these supplies are not sufficient to meet the basic needs of the population.

The report stated that only ten per cent of the currently necessary food supplies entered the Gaza Strip during the last 70 days.

Yesterday, the World Food Programme (WFP) announced that an aid convoy arrived after departing from Jordan, the first from the Kingdom to the Strip since the outbreak of the war, and that this happened after “weeks of coordination with all parties”.

WFP said in a statement that 46 trucks, organised by them and the Jordanian Hashemite Charitable Organisation, transported more than 750 metric tons of essential food supplies.

WFP country director and emergency coordinator in Palestine, Samer Abdel Jaber, was quoted as saying, “Establishing a corridor through Jordan will enhance the flow of aid, and remove some of the pressure and congestion that we are currently facing...this will allow us to secure more supplies and keep more trucks on the road.”

The statement stressed that “delivering food supplies...via the Kerem Shalom crossing will increase the volume and speed of food access to the Gaza Strip, where millions face the risk of dying from hunger.”

Last Friday, Israel “temporarily” allowed the transfer of aid to Gaza through the Kerem Shalom crossing between it and the Gaza Strip, which contributed to opening a new supply route after weeks of pressure. Before that, the only land outlet for aid was the Rafah border crossing with Egypt.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs