Haitham bin Tariq al-Said becomes new Sultan of Oman

twitter/(@HMHaithamTariq)

Oman’s Defence Council has announced that Haitham bin Tariq Al Said will be succeeding the late Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who died on Friday.

The Basic Law of the Sultanate of Oman, requires the ruling family to choose a successor within three days of the throne being vacated.

Haitham bin Tariq, who is also Sultan Qaboos' cousin, was Minister of Heritage and Culture of the Sultanate of Oman.

Oman has declared three-day mourning period, with the country's flag to be flown at half-mast for the next 40 days.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs