Global coronavirus death toll exceeds 300,000

Alberto PIZZOLI / AFP

More than 300,000 people around the world have died from the coronavirus.

That's according to the latest global stats that puts the number of infections at more than 4.5 million.

The US has accounted for more than 85,000 deaths, while the UK and Italy have reported more than 30,000 fatalities each. Meanwhile, France and Spain have reported more than 27,000 each.

Health experts, however, warned that the true number of infections and fatalities could be far higher.

It comes as an American government whistleblower said the US could face "the darkest winter" if it does not improve its COVID-19 response.

"Our window of opportunity is closing," Rick Bright, the former director of the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority. "If we fail to improve our response now, based on science, I fear the pandemic will get worse and be prolonged."

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs