GCC voices concern over continued war between Azerbaijan and Armenia

Local residents walk in a street after it was hit by a missile in Gandja, Azerbaijan, on October 8, 2020, near the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh province's capital Stepanakert. BULENT KILIC / AFP

The Gulf Cooperation Council, GCC, has expressed "great concern" over the continued war between Azerbaijan and Armenia on the Nagorno-Karabakh region, resulting in casualties and injuries from both countries.

In a statement, GCC Secretary General Nayef Al Hajraf said the Council ''urges Azerbaijan and Armenia to cease-fire and enter into comprehensive negotiations to reach an inclusive political solution in line with the UN Security Council resolutions and the international law.''

This dispute threatens stability and security of the Caucasus, as well as international peace, he noted as quoted by KUNA.

He appealed to the Security Council to assume its role for an immediate ceasefire and a political solution to the dispute to protect the lives of civilians and guarantee peace and security in this "sensitive area in the world."

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs