France boosts air, rail security amid rise in bomb hoaxes

Reuters

France, already on its highest security alert, is to boost security at airports around the capital and on trains after a wave of bomb hoaxes, the transport minister said on Sunday.

Security patrols at Paris airports will be increased by 40 per cent and staff at the national railway company SNCF will be reinforced by 20 per cent in addition to extra police patrolling railway stations, minister Clement Beaune said on France Inter.

France has been on its highest alert since October 13 after a 20-year-old man fatally stabbed a teacher in the city of Arras in northern France.

"Transport (networks) have been places that have seen heavy tolls in attacks in the history of our country and in Europe," said Beaune.

Alongside the heightened risk, there were "people who are playing with fear", he said, referring to the wave of fake bomb alerts that have hit transport networks, schools and cultural centres over the last week.

Since last Wednesday, there have been 70 bomb hoaxes in airports in France, he said, adding that almost all of these alerts were sent from the same Swiss-based email address.

False alerts are generally punishable by two years in prison and a 30,000-euro fine. This can rise to three years in prison and a 45,000 euro fine if the alert includes a threat.

Beaune told France Inter that hoaxes are not "small jokes, they are serious crimes" and that they will be investigated.

The Palace of Versailles outside Paris was evacuated for security reasons at midday on Sunday for the seventh time in the last eight days, re-opening two hours later after checks were made, a spokesperson said.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs