Fourth Ebola case confirmed in Goma

PAMELA TULIZO / AFP

The Congolese city of Goma has confirmed its fourth case of Ebola. 

The latest case marks a sharp rise in the spread of the fatal disease in Goma, which is home to more than one million people. 

The case involves the wife of a man who died of the Ebola virus earlier this week.

On Thursday authorities in Rwanda said they've closed their border with Congo.

The border between Goma and its nearest town of Gisenyi was shut for everyone except Congolese citizens who are leaving Rwanda.

However authorities in Congo are against the decision, saying it's against what the World Health Organization (WHO) has advised the two African countries to do.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs