Foreign fighters held in Russia's Dagestan linked to concert hall attack

via X

Foreign fighters detained on Sunday in Russia's southern region of Dagestan were involved in financing a deadly attack on a concert hall near Moscow last month, the TASS news agency cited Russia's FSB state security service as saying on Monday.

The FSB also said that one of the four detained men had confessed to personally bringing weapons to the Moscow attackers, according to the Interfax news agency.

Russian authorities said on Sunday they had detained a group of men who were planning violent acts, but had provided no information on their nationality.

At least 144 people were killed in the March 22 attack. IS has claimed responsibility but Russia has also said it believes "Ukrainian nationalists" were linked to the attack, an assertion strongly denied by Kyiv.

The four men Russia has charged with carrying out the attack are ethnic Tajiks.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs