Five US Marines confirmed dead in San Diego helicopter crash

File Photo

Five US Marines were confirmed dead after their helicopter crashed in a remote area outside of San Diego while on a training flight during a fierce winter storm, the US Marines Corps said on Thursday.

Their CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter went down in Pine Valley, a hilly remote area east of the city, on Tuesday night as it was headed to the Marine Corps Air Station in Miramar, California, the Marine Corps said in a statement.

The remains of the crew members were found during a search and rescue effort carried out by the Marines and local authorities.

"It is with a heavy hear and profound sadness that I share the loss of five outstanding Marines," Major General Michael Borgschulte said in the statement.

The helicopter departed from the Creech Air Force Base in Nevada about 60 km northwest of Las Vegas on Tuesday night and flew into rainy and snowy weather as it headed west. About eight hours later it was reported overdue.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs