First batch of hostages released under Israel-Hamas truce

AHMAD GHARABLI/ AFP

The first group of hostages released under the truce deal between Hamas and Israel have been handed to the Red Cross and to an Egyptian security team.

This comes after the first limited pause in fighting formally began earlier on Friday.

Under the terms of the four-day truce, 13 women and children, out of around 240 hostages captured by Hamas on October 7, were expected to comprise the first batch to be released.

Meanwhile, Thailand’s Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said that Hamas had released 12 Thai nationals held captive in Gaza. Their release reportedly followed a separate track of talks mediated by Egypt and Qatar, and was unrelated to the truce negotiations.

Later today, Israel was due to release the first 39 Palestinians from its jails, among them 24 women and 15 teenagers.

 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs