Firefighters begin to slow raging California wildfire

AFP

Firefighters on Monday finally started to control California's largest wildfire so far this year, halting its eastward expansion toward nearby Yosemite National Park while thousands of people remained under evacuation orders.

The Oak Fire expanded rapidly since it began on Friday, overwhelming the initial deployment of firefighters, as extremely hot and dry weather fueled its galloping pace through dry forest and underbrush.

Several officials with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) said the fire initially behaved unlike any other they had seen, with burning embers sparking smaller fires up to two miles (three km) in front of the main conflagration.

But firefighters have not seen more of that so-called spotting, Cal Fire spokesperson Natasha Fouts said on Monday from the incident command center in Merced, about 130 miles (210 km) inland from San Francisco.

The absence of other major fires in the region enabled Cal Fire to concentrate 2,500 firefighters on the blaze, and the lack of wind allowed for the continuous use of aircraft to drop water and fire retardant, officials said.

"It was a perfect storm of a good kind," said Hector Vasquez, a Cal Fire spokesperson, at the command post in Mariposa, California, closer to the fire.

The northward direction of the fire was taking it into the Sierra National Forest but no longer in the direction of Yosemite, some 10 miles (16 km) away. A grove of Yosemite's giant, ancient sequoia trees did come under threat from another wildfire weeks ago.

The Oak Fire grew to 16,791 acres (6,795 hectares) by Monday morning, an increase of 1,200 acres overnight and more than half the size of San Francisco, Cal Fire said.

The fire had more than doubled in size from Saturday to Sunday. It was 10% contained on Monday compared to zero on Sunday.

Since starting on Friday, the fire has chased more than 3,700 people from their homes. Wes Smith, a Mariposa County Sheriff Department officer and his wife Jane lost their home of 37 years, their son Nick wrote on a GoFundMe page.

"It is devastating to lose everything literally in the blink of an eye without notice," he wrote.

The fire has destroyed seven residential structures, officials said, revising down a previous figure of 10.

High temperatures in the area on Monday were expected to reach 98 degrees Fahrenheit (37 Celsius) with a slight breeze throughout the day.

A 20% chance of thunderstorms was in the forecast on Monday night and Tuesday morning, the National Weather Service said. Otherwise the area could expect 100-degree weather much of the week.

More than two decades of drought and rising temperatures have conspired to make California more vulnerable than ever to wildfires, with the two most devastating years on record coming in 2020 and 2021, when more than 6.8 million acres (2.75 million hectares) burned, an area greater than the size of Rwanda.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs