Evacuations underway as Typhoon Ambo nears the Philippines

iStock

Efforts are on to move tens of thousands of people to safety while maintaining social distance guidelines as Typhoon Ambo powers towards the eastern islands of the Philippines.

The storm, also referred to as Vongfong by Japan Meteorological Agency, has made landfall, packing winds of 155 kph and gusts of up to 190 kph.

Officials said those evacuated from the coastal areas will be moved to COVID-19 quarantine facilities. They've also asked permission from the education department to use more schools as temporary shelters.

So far, the country has recorded more than 11,600 infections, including 772 deaths.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs