Death of Chinese whistleblower doctor sparks outcry

Twitter

The death of a Chinese doctor who had warned about the coronavirus outbreak before it was officially recognised has sparked outrage and grief online.

Li Wenliang was earlier summoned by the police for "rumour-mongering" along with eight other whistleblowers when he had warned about a potential "SARS-like" virus spreading in Wuhan. 

Many social media users described him as a hero and accused the authorities of trying to shut him down. 

The topics "Wuhan government owes Dr. Li Wenliang an apology," and "We want freedom of speech," started to trend on Chinese social media platform Weibo. 

The 34-year-old doctor died of the virus on Friday, Wuhan Central Hospital confirmed in a statement after much confusion online.

"Our hospital's ophthalmologist Li Wenliang was unfortunately infected with coronavirus during his work in the fight against the coronavirus epidemic," the hospital said. "He died at 2:58 am on February 7 after attempts to resuscitate were unsuccessful." 

The death toll from the virus currently stands at 636, with infections at 31,161.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs