COVID-19 confirmed as pandemic: World Health Organisation

FABRICE COFFRINI / AFP

The World Health Organisation says the COVID-19 outbreak can now be characterised as a pandemic.

Its Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has revealed that the number of cases outside China has increased thirteen-fold in the past two weeks.

“In the days and weeks ahead, we expect to see the number of cases, the number of deaths and the number of affected countries to climb even higher,” he said during a press conference at the WHO’s headquarters in Geneva.

Dr. Tedros also urged people not to be fearful because of its status as a pandemic, adding that several countries have demonstrated the ability to control the outbreak.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs