Cold snap expected in China as millions return from Lunar New Year trips

AFP

A cold snap is forecast to sweep across many parts of China from this weekend, with temperatures falling by up to 20 degrees Celsius as millions return from Lunar New Year trips, the national observatory said on Thursday.

Heavy snow will hit Shaanxi and Shanxi province in the north, central Henan province and eastern Shandong province from Feb. 17-22 while temperatures in parts of the south are expected to fall to zero C (32 Fahrenheit) next week, the observatory said.

The cold spell is expected to affect road, rail and air transport just as people are coming back from travel for the Lunar New Year celebration that lasts through end of this week.

Separately, the weather bureau in northwestern Xinjiang region warned on Thursday of potential avalanches in the mountainous Altay area, with 30-50 cm (12-20 inches) of snowfall expected in northern parts of Xinjiang.

Snow and sandstorms are forecast to hit parts of the region over the next few days, the weather bureau added.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs