Coal mine collapse kills five in northern Vietnam

File Photo [For Illustration]

Five coal miners have been killed after a mine in northern Vietnam collapsed, local authorities said on Tuesday.

The accident happened on Monday at a coal mine in Quang Ninh province, the country's largest coal mining area, the provincial People's Committee said in a statement.

The victims, all males aged between 23 and 47, were employees of a unit of state-owned coal miner Vinacomin, state media reports said on Tuesday. Vinacomin was not immediately available for comment on the incident.

An investigation into the cause of the accident is underway, the provincial committee said.

Coal mining accidents are not uncommon in Vietnam, which remains heavily reliant on the fossil fuel for power generation. Coal-fired power plants accounted for 60% of the country's electricity output in the first half of this year.

In April, four coal miners were killed and seven others were injured in coal mine gas explosion at a mine run by another unit of Vinacomin.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs