Christchurch shootings: what we know so far

Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images

Here's what we know so far from the shootings in the New Zealand city of Christchurch

• 49 people have been killed and dozens injured in shootings at two mosques in the centre of the city

• Four suspects are in custody and one of the alleged attackers is an Australian national

• One man in his late 20's has been charged with murder and will appear in court on Saturday

• Cars with explosives inside were intercepted near the scene of the attacks and have been secured

• Schools in central Christchurch were put on a lockdown that has since been lifted and residents were warned to stay indoors

• All mosques across New Zealand have been told to lock their doors and people warned not to go to them until authorities can be sure that it is safe to do so

• The country’s prime minister, Jacinda Ardern, said it was “One of New Zealand’s darkest days”, calling the attacks “an unprecedented act of violence”.

• The Bangladesh cricket team were reportedly on their way to one of the mosques at the time of the attack. Batsman Tamim Iqbal said he and his teammates were able to flee the scene

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs